[U-Boot] U-boot SPL direct Linux boot

Simon Schwarz simonschwarzcor at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 1 15:57:32 CEST 2011

Hi Detlev,

> Just a probably dumb side question, but will ATAGS be deprecated once we
> have the flat device tree also on ARM?  As I understand, fdt is certainly
> the way to go forward, so maybe we can already start with that?  In that
> case, the fdt blob will be another binary blob to be passed to the
> kernel and as such should be independant of U-Boot.  So ideally in
> U-Boot we have a pointer to the fdt but the fdt itself can be updated
> independantly.

I also thought about that. But I actually thought that FDT support for
ARM isn't ready yet - although I saw much code for it while I worked
on ATAGS. How is the FDT-state for ARM?
If it is already usable I would be happy to adapt it. But if not I
would prefer to stay with ATAGS (as I have a tight schedule for my BA
thesis).

Thx for your comment!

Regards
Simon