[U-Boot] U-boot with USB storage support for WonderMedia WM8505

EvilSibling chris.p.barnes at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 15:12:42 CEST 2011

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum so im not sure if im in the right place. I tried
searching for a solution but didnt find a solution.

I have a 7" Netbook based on the WonderMedia WM8505 processor. Based on all
the other forums ive read out there it looks like the hardware is very
similar to a lot of the other 7" netbooks and 7" tablets out there.

The netbook came preloaded with Windows CE 6.

The problem ive got is I inherited the netbook broken. It appeares to be
broken after a failed Android install.

The serial console on the mainboard shows wload and u-boot starts fine.

The problem looks to me like the Android installer has replaced the u-boot
which was preloaded on the netbook.

I looked through the environment variables in u-boot via the serial console
and i saw an old bootcmd variable which referred to USB commands - usbinit,
fatload usb 0:1, etc to boot the system however the uboot which is running
on the netbook now has no such commands available.

The new u-boot seems to support NAND, IDE, and MMC storage because commands
for those storage devices are available, however the NAND and IDE commands
both report no devices/controllers detected.

Ive inspected the mainboard in this netbook and its onboard storage is a USB
flash disk - that is its a 2gig NAND flash presented to the system via USB.

So my question is this.

Can anyone suggest where I could download a u-boot which has usb storage
support which might run on this netbook?

OR

Can anyone give me any suggestions how I could make a compatible u-boot from
source.

Ive downloaded the source from the DENX website and had a look but the
problem ive got is the 'make' program expects me to specify which system
board to build the u-boot binary for but none of the board names in the
u-boot source seem to resemble anything like the board in this netbook so I
dont know which board configuration to use.

These netbooks are so common and all have such similar hardware surely one
of the board configurations would match well but which one?

Heres some info about the netbook:
Make/Model: Easy Notebook Model P701
The netbook was originally purchased from
http://www.oo.com.au/EasyNotebook_Ultra_Portable_La_P41265.cfm
MOBO: P701_MAIN_V9 20100927
Daughter board: CPU8505_V3
CPU: WM8505 - WonderMedia 8505 ARM926EJ-S (ARMv5)
Flash: F40-100GCP 4Mbit serial flash
RAM: Hynix h5ps1g63efr-y5c - 128meg DDR2 667Mhz
LAN: Via Velocity VT6113
WIFI: Ralink RT3070
Sound: Everest Semiconductor ES8328 Low Power Codec
USB Hub: Genesys Logic GL850G
Storage: Samsung MLC Flash K9GAG08U0E-SCB0 - 2Gig via Chipsbank CBM2093
USB-Flash controller
Pointing device: Cube FKT0107D
Unknown: HT-95A-2 - Possibly keyboard encoder/decoder?
LEDs available: Caps lock, Scroll Lock, Num Lock, Battery Charging, Powered
on

Ive uploaded some images of the mainboard and daughter board
http://old.nabble.com/file/p31979430/IMG00193-20110701-1615.jpg Underside of
mainboard
http://old.nabble.com/file/p31979430/IMG00194-20110701-1616.jpg Topside of
mainboard