[U-Boot] U-boot with USB storage support for WonderMedia WM8505

Albert ARIBAUD albert.u.boot at aribaud.net
Sat Jul 2 15:46:50 CEST 2011

Hi Evilsibling,

> Can anyone suggest where I could download a u-boot which has usb storage
> support which might run on this netbook?
>
> OR
>
> Can anyone give me any suggestions how I could make a compatible u-boot from
> source.

I'd suggest asking the manufacturer -- if they put u-boot in devices
that they distribute, then they must provide the corresponding source
code. Did you check this with them?

> Ive downloaded the source from the DENX website and had a look but the
> problem ive got is the 'make' program expects me to specify which system
> board to build the u-boot binary for but none of the board names in the
> u-boot source seem to resemble anything like the board in this netbook so I
> dont know which board configuration to use.
>
> These netbooks are so common and all have such similar hardware surely one
> of the board configurations would match well but which one?

'Similar' is no warranty as far as booting a device is concerned, and
you should not bet on 'similar' unless you have absolutely no other choice.

> Heres some info about the netbook:
> Make/Model: Easy Notebook Model P701
> The netbook was originally purchased from
> http://www.oo.com.au/EasyNotebook_Ultra_Portable_La_P41265.cfm
> MOBO: P701_MAIN_V9 20100927
> Daughter board: CPU8505_V3
> CPU: WM8505 - WonderMedia 8505 ARM926EJ-S (ARMv5)
> Flash: F40-100GCP 4Mbit serial flash
> RAM: Hynix h5ps1g63efr-y5c - 128meg DDR2 667Mhz
> LAN: Via Velocity VT6113
> WIFI: Ralink RT3070
> Sound: Everest Semiconductor ES8328 Low Power Codec
> USB Hub: Genesys Logic GL850G
> Storage: Samsung MLC Flash K9GAG08U0E-SCB0 - 2Gig via Chipsbank CBM2093
> USB-Flash controller
> Pointing device: Cube FKT0107D
> Unknown: HT-95A-2 - Possibly keyboard encoder/decoder?
> LEDs available: Caps lock, Scroll Lock, Num Lock, Battery Charging, Powered
> on
>
> Ive uploaded some images of the mainboard and daughter board
> http://old.nabble.com/file/p31979430/IMG00193-20110701-1615.jpg Underside of
> mainboard
> http://old.nabble.com/file/p31979430/IMG00194-20110701-1616.jpg Topside of
> mainboard
>
> Really appreciate any and all help.

I suggest trying to track the manufacturer down and ask for the u-boot
sources.

Amicalement,
--
Albert.