[U-Boot] OMAP3 SPL: merge window question

Simon Schwarz simonschwarzcor at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 18 13:31:24 CEST 2011

Dear Albert Aribaud,

On 18.07.11, Albert Aribaud wrote:
> You mean you can release a patch before the end of the week, right?
>
> Personally, when a patch was initially submitted before the end of
> the merge window, I will accept subsequent versions of it and apply
> them even if they are submitted after the merge window has closed.

The problem is that most of my old OMAP3 patch is obsoleted by Aneesh's
OMAP4 patch (http://marc.info/?l=u-boot&m=131082102506002&w=2) and the new SPL-
Framework (http://marc.info/?l=u-boot&m=131056990001719&w=2).

Therefore most of my old patch will be invalid - and some new parts will be
added. It will be a major change not just some corrections.

But I had to wait for these two patches to get finished to add my changes
otherwise duplicated and incomaptible work would have been done.

> Only, be sure to follow *all* rules for submitting new versions of a
> patch set as laid out in <http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/U-Boot/Patches#Sending_updated_patch_versions>
> . Particularly:
>
> - *always* provide history for *each* patch
>
> - *always* provide history *below* the commit message delimiter ('---')
>
> - *always* post version N of a patch "in-reply-to" version N-1.
>
> - *never* post a patch set twice under the same version. Even if you
> forgot some trivial thing like signed-off-by, repost with a *bumped
> up* version number (and provide updated history)
>
> Be warned that not respecting these rules will result in the patch
> set being NAKed (and, in turn, will force you to re-post a Vn+1
> patch...)

Understood.

Regards
Simon