[U-Boot] POST - Hardware Diagnose Commands methodologies

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Jul 20 21:55:42 CEST 2011

Dear "Vega, Ferdinand (ESEA MESA)",

In message <7C815335A6382547A0240C3FA5F33BC9AC5191 at DE08EV804.global.ds.honeywell.com> you wrote:

> I would like to know if there's any methodology or requirement documentation
> available for the POST Hardware Diagnose Commands from U-Boot, for
> microprocessor MPC8378?

POST code is inherently very closely hardware specific.  If you read
doc/README.POST you will see that the original design of the code was
done for a MPC823E based system (LWMON, to be specific), and later it
got extended to other boards and processors as needed.

There are generic (per architecture) tests, CPU model specific tests,
SoC specific tests, standard peripheral tests, and board specific
tests.

The requirement documentation for the tests comes from your own
project - we cannot know what you need.  You can then either match
your requirements to existing code and reuse it unchanged, or youmay
have to extend / mdify it, or you may have to add completely new
pieces.

This depends on _your_ requirements.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Why can you only have two doors on a chicken coop? If it had four  it
would be a chicken sedan.