[U-Boot] [GIT PULL] Pull request: u-boot-staging

Andy Fleming afleming at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 18:08:15 CET 2011

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 10:57 AM, Stefano Babic <sbabic at denx.de> wrote:
> On 23/11/2011 17:26, Igor Grinberg wrote:
>> Hi Wolfgang, Stefano,
>>

> Hi Igor,
>
> to add maybe some confusion here I have now checked into U-Boot log and
> I see that at least one custodian (Paulraj, I have added now in CC)
> follows the Linux way.
>
>>> The question is how you define "pushing".
>>> "Documentation/SubmittingPatches" says:

>>> (a) and (b) don't apply here, and (d) is not relevant in this context.
>>> So the question is if (c) applies, or not.
>>
>> Well, I think yes (c) applies here and if you look into the Linux
>> git log, you will see that all patches applied by maintainers are
>> also signed by them.
>
> Reading (c), I can interprete as Igor does...

I've been not signing off on applied mmc patches, but now that I read
the document carefully, I agree with Igor's interpretation. If you
look under section 13:

13) When to use Acked-by: and Cc:

The Signed-off-by: tag indicates that the signer was involved in the
development of the patch, or that he/she was in the patch's delivery path.

I think that makes the intent of (c) clear.

Of course, the meaning is established on a per-project basis. And
Wolfgang is right that the same interpretation could be used to claim
that Albert should add his signed-off-by to every patch merged from
the various ARM-sub-repositories. So I think we just need to establish
what the policy is for U-Boot, and everyone can follow it from now-on.