[U-Boot] [RFC] Remove static display data

Eric Nelson eric.nelson at boundarydevices.com
Fri Jul 26 21:41:44 CEST 2013

Thanks Stephen,

On 07/26/2013 07:49 AM, Stephen Warren wrote:
> On 07/26/2013 08:42 AM, Stefano Babic wrote:
>> On 26/07/2013 16:04, Eric Nelson wrote:
>>> The real question we have regarding DT is the timing. We're shipping
>>> DT files on secondary storage (SATA/SD card), and want/need something
>>> local (i.e. env in SPI-NOR) to present a U/I if either no storage
>>> available or if something goes wrong.
>>
>> ok, understood.
>
> For Tegra (and I assume the similar Exynos support), the DTB that's used
> by U-Boot is considered part of the U-Boot binary, so whatever loads
> that into RAM also automatically picks up the DTB, so there's no need to
> do any kind of storage access to retrieve it

Interesting... and the fdtdec_X() routines give you a mini database
you can query for the bits of interest, which can handle the
interface-specific bits pretty nicely.

> Of course, the U-Boot code apparently supports other methods, such as
> hard-coding a memory-mapped address etc.; take a lok at the DT-related
> config options.

Now if only there were a way to represent some DT data in an
environment variable...

I mean, there is, but somehow this just seems wrong:

	U-Boot > setenv mypanel '