[U-Boot] Query: Ethernet switch support

Sharma Bhupesh-B45370 B45370 at freescale.com
Mon Jul 29 17:33:39 CEST 2013

Hi List,

I am trying to add support of a Vitesse L2 switch in u-boot (in unmanaged configuration).
I was analyzing whether advanced features like flow control, link-aggregation etc are
required to be supported for a L2 switch  working in a u-boot bootloader level.

My point-of-view is that the L2 switch, should support only bare-minimum
tftp of images, ping to other ethernet entities, bootp ..
type of commands on u-boot and as such the L2 switch u-boot driver
doesn't need to address flow-control and other such advanced features (probably
of interest for a Linux device driver).

But, I am not sure about the design approaches used to support
previous switch modules in u-boot.

Also I had a query whether there is a common switch framework in-place/under-consideration
in u-boot, similar to what is already present in OpenWrt code:
https://dev.openwrt.org/browser/trunk/package/boot/uboot-lantiq/patches/0019-net-switchlib-add-framework-for-ethernet-switch-driv.patch?rev=35292

Would porting this to u-boot make sense to have a common framework for ethernet switch
in-place?

Can you please let me know your views on the same and point me to any
reference switch drivers that support these features.

Regards,
Bhupesh