[U-Boot] Dynamically determine RAM size and pass it to kernel

Mike Looijmans mike.looijmans at topic.nl
Thu Nov 17 13:34:55 CET 2016

We have some Zynq based boards still in the field that have only 512MB RAM
instead of 1GB. The memory chips are compatible and use the same settings
apart from that one extra address bit.

So what works is just configure the DDR controller for 1GB and then check if
writing some data "wraps" back, this is my "spike" code in the RAM init code
for that:

+       u32 *ptr_1 = (u32*)0x10000;
+       u32 *ptr_2 = (u32*)((gd->ram_size >> 1) + 0x10000);
+
+       puts("RAM test");
+       *ptr_1 = 0x12345678;
+       if (*ptr_2 == *ptr_1) {
+               *ptr_1 = 0x87654321;
+               if (*ptr_2 == *ptr_1) {
+                       puts(" [HALF]");
+                       gd->ram_size >>= 1;
+               }
+       }

This works well, and reliably detects that the board only has half the amount
of RAM, and corrects the ram_size variable.

The problem I'm seeing now is that this new ram_size does not get passed to
the kernel. Apparently in modern versions of u-boot I need to somehow patch
the "live" devicetree blob as well? How does that work?

Kind regards,

Mike Looijmans
System Expert

TOPIC Products