[U-Boot] Stepping down as sunxi u-boot custodian (for real this time)

Andre Przywara andre.przywara at arm.com
Fri Nov 18 15:33:54 CET 2016

Hi,

On 18/11/16 13:02, Jagan Teki wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 3:48 AM, Maxime Ripard
> <maxime.ripard at free-electrons.com> wrote:
>> Hi Hans,
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 12:53:13PM +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> A while back I wrote:
>>>
>>> "Between my $dayjob, linux-sunxi, other foss projects and last but
>>> not least spending time with my wife and children I'm way too
>>> busy lately.
>>>
>>> So I've decided to seriously scale back my involvement in
>>> linux-sunxi, as such I'm going to step down as u-boot sunxi
>>> custodian."
>
> Hans, thanks for all your great work.

+1 for Hans' good work!

>>> After that I did get some breathing room, and kept doing
>>> sunxi u-boot maintenance until now, but this still feels
>>> too much like a job rather then a hobby. The problem is
>>> that I don't want to think during the weekend:
>>> "Oh !@#$ I still need to prep a u-boot sunxi pull-req"
>>>
>>> This is nothing against the u-boot community, I think
>>> you're all great and I still love thinkering with this
>>> kind of stuff, but when a hobby starts feeling as a chore
>>> something is wrong.
>>>
>>> So after this mail I'm going to send a mail updating
>>> the MAINTAINERS status of sunxi to orphan and I will also
>>> unsubscribe myself from the u-boot list to protect myself
>>> against getting dragged in again.
>>>
>>> I do expect (after taking a break for a couple of weeks)
>>> that I will likely submit the occasional patch, but at
>>> this point in time I do not want any maintainer
>>> responsibilities.
>>>
>>> Yesterday and today I've gone over my pending patches
>>> queue, reviewed then all and I've merged all the ones
>>> which looked good into u-boot-sunxi/next, so that
>>> should be a good starting point for the next
>>> maintainer.
>>
>> Thanks a lot for the great work you did over those years :)
>>
>>> Jagan (in the Cc) has indicated in the past that he is
>>> interested in taking over as sunxi custodian, Jagan already
>>> is the SPI custodian, so I believe that he will do well.
>>>
>>> So Jagan, if you still want the job, go for it.
>
> OK, Hans thanks for believing my work - will try my best.
>

>> As I said before, I can help whoever is willing to take over by
>> becoming co-maintainer for some time, in order to make the transition
>> as smooth as possible.
>>
>> Jagan, are you still willing to do this?
>
> Yes, Maxime I will do this, please help me for initial transition and
> technical details if any.
> Can I get any board sample from any all-winner or related communities?

Feel free to send any 64-bit (A64, H64, H5) related questions/patches
into my direction. I can test stuff, also give advice and do reviews.

Cheers,
Andre.

P.S. I was thinking about stepping up here, but would end up in the same
situation as Hans quicker than one could say "Allwinner" ;-)