[ELDK] ELDK 4.1 (ppc-linux-x86): sysctl missing in glibc

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Dec 3 23:11:32 CET 2007

In message <m2eje3lvkf.fsf at ohwell.denx.de> you wrote:

> > That's probably indeed first sight only.
>
> Nope.  Nobody said we cannot access sysctl variables by whatever means
> available.  The precise problem was the missing c function.

I beg to question if it is missing, or if it's use has been
deprecated.

> i.e., the "sysctl" program follows the advise I included:
>
> >> BUGS
> >>    The object names vary between kernel versions.  THIS MAKES THIS
> >>    SYSTEM CALL WORTHLESS FOR APPLICATIONS.  Use the /proc/sys
> >>    interface instead.  Not all available objects are properly

Correct.

> But that wasn't the original problem...

But it might be the solution... in other words,  I  tend  to  believe
that  the  phrase  "Use  the /proc/sys interface instead" is a pretty
clear warning NOT to use the sysctl system call any more.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
2000 pounds of chinese soup                               = 1 Won Ton