[ELDK] Using recent ELDK toolchain with older ELDK runtime environment

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Dec 5 21:03:45 CET 2008

Dear Matthias,

In message <200812051715.07571.matthias.fuchs at esd-electronics.com> you wrote:

> is it possible to use a recent ELDK toolchain to build applications
> that run on targets that are based on an older ELDK.

In general, this will not work. In any case, this is not a supported
nor a recommended mode of operation.

> So let's say the target still uses a libc 2.2.5 (coming from the early ELDK
> times) and I want to use ELDK 4.2 to build an application for this target.

This will most likely fail - for example, the old C library is  still
linux  pthreads only, while the new code uses NTPL - building for and
linking against one and then running with the other shared library is
a certain way for nasty surprises, at least.

> I played around with some compiler/linker options like -nostdlib and -nostdinc,
> but with no success. Well, static linking works - but that's not what I want.

Even static linking is a majos problem. I think, that with  glibc  it
is  basicly  impossible  to  perform  complete, self-contained static
linking.

> In the meantime I think this is not possible, but perhaps someone can give me a hint ;-)

It will not work.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The faster I go, the behinder I get.                 -- Lewis Carroll