[ELDK] Binutils 2.17 an issue for 2.6.26 kernel?

Frank Svendsbøe frank.svendsboe at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 13:03:19 CEST 2008

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 12:14 PM, Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:
> In message <1ba63b520807180055m49efb86vdf2ff990581eff0 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
>>
>> What is the workaround segher is referring to, and why not just upgrade ELDK
>> with binutils 2.18?
>
> binutils is a pretty fundamental package  -  nearly  everything  else
> depends  on  it.  Updating  binutils includes (at least) a rebuild of
> *all* cross tools and of *all* target libraries  and  binaries  -  in
> other  words:  it's  a  complete  new  release  with all the required
> testing efforts.

Yes I know. It's *the* building stone.

> Such an update will be done eventually, but  then  probably  combined
> with  switching to gcc 4.3.x, and maybe other updates. But as long as
> there is little community activity and we (DENX) are the only ones to
> actively drive such a development, you better  don't  ask  me  for  a
> release date yet.

I won't ask you for a date, and I'm thankful for all the work DENX has put
into ELDK and Das U-Boot. But, I'll try to replace 2.17 in ELDK and see how
it goes for my target (and hopefully provide you with some useful information).

Btw, have you tried crosstool-ng? It seems to be a lot more updated than Dan
Kegels old crosstool script.

- Frank