[ELDK] Debian on Lite5200

Chris Alfred c.alfred at internode.on.net
Wed Nov 19 08:41:40 CET 2008

Hi fellow denxers,

I have followed the procedure in
http://www.denx.de/wiki/DULG/AN2004_08_DebianOnPowerpcInstallationHowto
on a Lite5200 board with kernel 2.6.19.2 from ELDK4.1 and
lite5200_defconfig.

When ever I do the actual Debian base installation stage, the error I
get is:

    Failure trying to run: chroot /target
dpkg --force-depends --install
    /var/cache/apt/archives/base-files_3.0.2_powerpc.deb
    /var/cache/apt/archives/base-passwd_3.4.1_powerpc.deb

Even though the procedure states 'After the installation, the
configuration of several packages will fail - this is not fatal.', I
think my error is more serious as there is no /etc/inittab installed
to be edited later in the procedure.

I know the Debian installation is old, but I wanted to follow the
procedure 'to the letter' before exploring.

An aside
--------
The procedure uses a tftp directory of '/tftpboot/192.168.1.20'. I
found that the 'mount -o nolock -t nfs <ipaddr>:/tftpboot/192.168.1.20
/target' command failed - I renamed the '192.168.1.20' subdirectory to
'debian' and all was fine. Maybe mount was confused? This might be the
fault referred to in email thread '[ELDK] Debian Lenny Install on AMCC
405EX (Kilauea)'.

Thanks for the great support,
Chris Alfred