[ELDK] Changing kernel in ELDK-4.2

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Sep 1 12:45:59 CEST 2008

Dear Robert,

In message <7e63f56c0809010302x1de47902r1e1a37d74aa905d2 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> > There are NO changes needed to do that - neither to the ELDK nor to
> > your kernel tree.
>
> OK, got it, just to compile it using the ELDK cross-compiler.

Correct.

> In some cases, we might need to put to the rootfs
> /lib/modules/kernel-<version>
> the modules. How to handle it better, to pass some path to make install?

This is already supported by the standard kernel Makefile. Try:

$ make INSTALL_MOD_PATH=/opt/eldk/<your_arch> modules_install

> Yet another issue will be to cut the size of rootfs by removing some
> packages.
> How to handle it within the ELDK framework.

You  don't  build  root  file  systems  by  taking   a   full-feldged
distribution  and  removing parts. You also don't build weekend homes
by taking a mansion and removing parts.

Like a house, a root file system should be built bottom up,  starting
from  scratch and adding things you know you need. Never add anything
where you don't exactly know what it's needed for.

You can use the included SELF images as a starting point; see
http://www.denx.de/wiki/DULG/RootFileSystemDesignAndBuilding

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Intuition, however illogical, is recognized as a command prerogative.
	-- Kirk, "Obsession", stardate 3620.7