[ELDK] Changing kernel in ELDK-4.2

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Tue Sep 2 14:26:39 CEST 2008

Hi,

> On Mon, Sep 01, 2008 at 02:43:04PM +0200, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
>
>> Well, either you do it by hand (this is the most cumbersome way,  but
>> the  one  that results in the best understanding of what you include,
>> and why), or you use the RFSB (Root File System Builder) that Deltevl
>> Zundel (on Cc:) has in the works.
>
> I think you forgot to actually put him on Cc:... added him.
>
>> Detlev, comments?
>
> I'm curious about this too....

Yes, I know that I am pretty late on that, but I really wanted to write
at least a short documentation about what it can already do (very
little) and what we want to achieve.

But as so many people seem to be interested, I'll give a short rundown
on what we do:

- We auto-generate a "make menuconfig" package generation user interface
  from the ELD rpm database.

- We will have the following sources for root file systems:

  - ELDK (rpm) packages
  - (selectable) root-filesystem templates
  - user packages (evan autoconfig stuff)
  - user hierarchy to override any of the previous

All these will be packaged up with automatic library dependency
resolution into (without superuser rights) ext2, jffs2,
cramfs images and (with superuser rights, e.g. sudo) a chroot-able
hierarchy.

Currently this is mostly (sub-optimal) Makefile code with some small
support scripts.

Cheers
  Detlev

--
["From 2.4 to 2.6 to 2.7" discussing release numbering of the Linux kernel]
Let the bike-shed-painting begin.