[ELDK] PCI post boot scan

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Sep 15 20:19:12 CEST 2008

Dear Ayoub,

In message <160562.67554.qm at web26603.mail.ukl.yahoo.com> you wrote:

> I have an onboard FPGA (PCI express) that I want to configure from a userspace application with the corresponding "firmware".

This is probably a sub-optimal approach.

> Only after a configuration that the FPGA shows its PCI nature.
> the problem is that linux has no way to detect the PCI device unless I reboot my board.

Indeed.

> Is there any way to do it so ?
> Is it possible to re-initialize the whole pci stack again ?

You should reconsider your plans.  Why  don't  you  simply  load  and
initialize  the  FPGA  in  U-Boot?  U-Boot can load files from a file
system, so you don't actually lose much of flexibility. And you don;t
have to play dirty tricks on Linux as Linux will see an  initialized,
working device.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
You might not be as stupid as you look. This is not hard. Let's think
about this. I mean ... I'll think about this, and  you  can  join  in
when you know the words.             - Terry Pratchett, _Men at Arms_