[ELDK] Fwd: OpenJDK and Other Questions

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Sep 18 17:08:21 CEST 2008

Dear Jason,

In message <8f9e78f00809180534o43acd6d2v4087a3360e068943 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> Before attempting to make GCJ work I'm going to try running Debian
> Lenny on my Kilauea board. I built a Lenny VM yesterday on my
> workstation and got OpenJDK/IcedTea running quite easily. Next step is
> try and run a similar configuration on my embedded system.

Keep in mind that the Kilauea is a 405 which means it has small cache
lines (which may or may not be dealt with correctly by  your  version
of  glibc),  and  it  has  no  FPU,  which  means you must enable FPU
emulation in the kernel which is a real  pain  in  ...  in  terms  of
performance  -  the overhead of trapping into kernelmode for each and
every floating point instruction is HUGE.

Note that ELDK for 4xx is configured to use software floating-point,
which is much more efficient.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
PoB = "Prisoner of Bill" -- those held captive, unwillingly or other-
wise, by the contemptible Microsoft monopoly.
         -- Tom Christiansen in <6abo45$3lc$2 at csnews.cs.colorado.edu>