[ELDK] arm-linux-gcc command not found

Jerry Van Baren gvb.uboot at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 03:20:34 CEST 2009

Peter Stefanos wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I must first stress that I am new to Linux.
> So far I have successfully compiled, loaded and run ucLinux on an
> embedded artists LPC2468 board, however, I have had little success in
> compiling the u-boot-1.1.6 source on Debian linux. I believe I have
> installed the ELDK correctly and added the appropriate paths to the
> environment. When I type the compiler name I get:

Version 1.1.6 is very old, we strongly recommend upgrading to the
tip-o-tree (should not be material to this discussion).

> peter at Captain:~$ arm-linux-gcc -v

[snip]

> gcc version 4.0.0 (DENX ELDK 4.0 4.0.0)
>
> So it can find the gcc compiler. Then I type and get:

Yes, but as the user *"peter"*, apparently it is in your login path.

[snip]

> peter at Captain:/cadet/u-boot-1.1.6$ sudo make

Note that you now switch to using "sudo", which runs "make" as the user
"root", not as "peter".  Apparently arm-linux-gcc is not in the path of
"root" (no big surprise).

The question is, why are you trying to build u-boot as root?  You don't
need root privileges to build u-boot.  If you do, you probably have file
ownership/permissions problems that you should fix.

[snip]

> I don't fully understand what its trying to tell me, but it seems that
> it can't find the arm-linux-gcc compiler and I don't understand why
> since I can type it in the command line and it appears to find it.

root's $PATH != peter's $PATH

> Any help would be greatly appreciated... The answer is probably
> obvious... except its not obvious to me!

The answer is always obvious, once you figure it out. ;-)

> Peter

Best regards,
gvb