[ELDK] Ramdisk Image creation with eldk Root filesystem

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Thu Dec 3 11:03:17 CET 2009

Hi Jonathan,

> Sorry for my last mail with too long lines, but we migrated to outlook and it
> was not configured properly (I hope the configuration is now better... but
> Outlook does not seem to really take care of other mail clients...).

The configuration is much better now, thanks!

> My question is: I installed the ELDK and I have a directory "ppc_6xx" with a
> Root Filesystem that I can start through NFS on my board. This works fine.
> Now I want to delete some unwanted packages (with the ppc_6xx-rpm utility)
> and to pack the "ppc_6xx" in a ramdisk image that I can flash on my board.

Ah uh, this is really not the correct way to do this.  To be in any way
efficient, you should start with a minimal system and then add only
things which you need.

> What would be the best way to do this last operation ?
> - take a standard SELF ramdisk image, unpack it, copy the content of my
> "ppc_6xx" directory in it and repack it ? ( for example would the following
> package be ok for me ? I saw that ppc_6xx and ppc_82xx are
> related: ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/LinuxPPC/usr/src/SELF/images/ppc_82xx/, because I
> did not found a ppc_6xx package)

ppc_82xx is only a hardlink, as the processor family uses a e300 core
which is essentially a 603 so ppc_6xx fits.

> - is there a way to convert directly my "ppc_6xx" directory in a ramdisk image ?

Well this depends what you mean with ramdisk, but of course, (nearly) any
"mkfs.<filesystem>" tool will allow you to pack a directory hierarchy
into an image, after all, that's how the RPM spec file of SELF works.

But then again, there is a tool specially to create small ramdisk
images:

http://git.denx.de/?p=rfsb.git;a=summary

It may need some smoothing on the edges, but you should be able to get a
headstart on a small image this way.

Best wishes
  Detlev

--
5.7: Practically speaking, what is the difference between arrays and pointers?
About the difference between alcohol and marijuana; they have different