[ELDK] gdbserver issues on xilinx PPC440 Virtex5FX with ELDK4.2

Frederic LEGER frederic.leger at esisar.grenoble-inp.fr
Tue Feb 24 09:11:38 CET 2009

Dear Wolfgang,

Just to tell you that I used ELDK4.1-UCLIBC with 2.6.27-rc9 with same crazy
behaviour.

I also used latest stable Buildroot 2009.02 with GCC4.3.2, latest uclibc
etc... Etc... With kernel 2.6.28 from xilinx git tree : same result, GDB on
the target is crashing after setting a break point and "continue".

The problem exists with the GDB on the target, and by extension with
GDBSERVER also.

I also compiled a kernel using SLUB allocator, with same results.

Replies on Xilinx forum tells me that I am no more the only one to have this
issue. (copy of a post below)

===
narrucmot
Regular Visitor
Registered: 03-17-2008

Message 2 of 2
Viewed 20 times

 I have duplicated this problem on the Avnet V5FX30T board with the ELDK 4.2
toolchain and 2.6.27rc4, 2.6.27rc9 and 2.6.28 kernels.

I have also duplicated this problem on the Xilinx ML507 board with the ELDK
4.2 toolchain and 2.6.27rc9 kernel.
Telling gdb to "continue"  hangs the debug session and, of course, the
breakpoint is never hit.

I configure the kernel to mount the ELDK root file system over NFS.  The
kernel boots and runs with no issues.
Here are the rest of my steps:
Compile my application and copy the exe to the NFS share:
$ ppc_4xx-gcc -Wall -ggdb -o hello_world hello_world.c $ cp hello_world
~/ELDK/ppc_4xx/bin/.
Start gdbserver on the target:
-bash-3.2# gdbserver 192.168.1.55:1234 /bin/hello_world (I see the expected
"process created" and "Listening on port 1234" messages in the console)
Start gdb on the host:
ppc_4xx-gdb hello_world
(I see the typical and expected startup messages.  One interesting thing
here - gdb says the target architecture is set automatically to powerpc:403.
Attempts to set the target arch with "set processor powerpc:440" fail with
an "Undefined item: "powerpc:440"" message.)

Set breakpoint, connect to target, and attempt to hit the breakpoint:
(gdb) break 5 (the printf statement is on line 5)
(gdb) target remote 192.168.1.56:1234
(gdb) continue
Continuing.

At this point the debug session hangs and the board goes out to lunch.  I
can halt the debug session and get gdb back with a <ctrl-c> <ctrl-c>, but
the board does not recover.  I have to re-download the kernel elfto
essentially reset the board.

Most interesting of all is that I know - and have documented - this exact
process for debugging applications in this same environment.  Something
obviously has gone very wrong.  Anyone have any ideas?  Suggestions?
===

Best regards,

Frédéric LEGER
Transfert de Technologie