[ELDK] gdbserver issues on xilinx PPC440 Virtex5FX with ELDK4.2

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Feb 24 12:59:30 CET 2009

Dear Frederic,

In message <001501c99657$84e45f10$3e0414ac at esisar.inpg.fr> you wrote:

> Just to tell you that I used ELDK4.1-UCLIBC with 2.6.27-rc9 with same crazy
> behaviour.
>
> I also used latest stable Buildroot 2009.02 with GCC4.3.2, latest uclibc
> etc... Etc... With kernel 2.6.28 from xilinx git tree : same result, GDB on
> the target is crashing after setting a break point and "continue".

The "GCC4.3.2, latest uclibc" part scares me.

You mean you are NOT using the ELDK provided target environment, which
- among other things - contains the libraries that were used to
  configure and build GDB abd gdbserver for the target?

> The problem exists with the GDB on the target, and by extension with
> GDBSERVER also.

Hm...

Please try:

1) using a *clean* ELDK root file system environment, i. e. ONLY the
   tools and libraries that come with the ELDK.

2) use a glibc based invironment instead of uclibc (which  is  always
   good  for  some  nasty surprises, without compensating this by any
   significant benefits).

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
They say, well, meybe it _is_ smelly, maybe it _is_ overcrowded, may-
be it _is_ a bit like Hell would be if they shut the  fires  off  and
stabled  a  herd  of  incontinent cows there for a year, but you must
admit that it is full of sheer, vibrant, dynamic _life_.
                                 - Terry Pratchett, _Moving Pictures_