[ELDK] Rebuilding ELDK-4.1-uclibc with IPv6 support

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Feb 26 00:41:56 CET 2009

Dear "J.T. Conklin",

In message <6c5c8a400902250910t58c0373fidc43010abaa3f6f4 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> Since I have not been able to track down the SRPMs in order to rebuild
> ELDK 4.1 from scratch, I'm giving ELDK 4.2 a try.  This changes a few
> more variables than I would like, but such is life.
>
> Following the build instructions, I'm getting a compile problem in the
> libelf library use by RPM when I compile on either Ubuntu Server or
> Fedora 9.  The error appears to be related to conflicts between an
> extern declaration, an inline defintion, and an out of line definition
> of the dwarf_whatform() function.  If I recall correctly, there have
> been changes in gcc's inline semantics that may be responsible, so I'm
> hoping that using an older OS version will result in a clean rebuild.
>
> I've checked the wiki/manual, but didn't find a mention of the
> canonical build host used for ELDK builds.  I'd like to just grab the
> same distribution, load it up on a VM host, and use that.

Well, the release build environment is based  on  Red  Hat  7.3.  The
build  environment  is  also  known  to  work  in  a  Fedora  Core  5
environment. Other distributions have not been tested, and especially
more  recent  versions  are  known  to  have  problems.  Patches  are
welcome...

Now for the good news: we found it more and more difficult to kepp RH
7.3 running on recent hardware (for example, the  Linux  2.4  kernels
that are needed for RH 7.3 don't have device drivers for most corrent
mainboards, S-ATA controllers, USB controllers, etc,), so we moved to
a  virtual  machine  some  time  ago.  I always intended to make this
available to the community, too, but time was missing to  write  some
documentation.

Your posting triggered me to complete at least an intial document that
should allow you to get started: please see

- ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/eldk/build-env/root-rh-7.3.img.gz
  for a ready-to-use disk image that can be run for example under
  qemu (or better qemu-kvm)

  and

- http://www.denx.de/wiki/DULG/AN2009_02_EldkReleaseBuildEnvironment
  for an (initial draft of an) Application Note that describes the
  initial steps

Note that the documentation is not complete  -  we  use  a  bit  more
advanced  methods  now  to start the virtual machine (using =libvirt=
and tools like  =virsh=).  This  not  only  allows  for  much  easier
configuration  of  the virtual build host, but also enables automatic
snapshot / restart when you reboot the host machine (so  the  virtual
host  continues  to  run  even  if  you  reboot  the  underlying real
machine), etc. But at the moment I don't find the time to write  more
documentatio  -  we're all preparing for Embedded World trade show in
Nuremberg next week.

Hope this helps.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Don't you know anything? I should have thought anyone knows that  who
knows anything about anything...      - Terry Pratchett, _Soul Music_