[ELDK] cross compiling tshark for powerpc440

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Feb 27 23:22:33 CET 2009

Dear Haitham Al-Saif,

In message <e1dfadff0902270926n8965903t8e52100f8caf1a1a at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> *${CROSS_COMPILE}rpmbuild -ba wireshark.spec*
>
> I got some dependencies errors
>
> error: Failed build dependencies:
>         libpcap-devel >= 0.9 is needed by wireshark-1.0.0-2.ppc
>         libsmi is needed by wireshark-1.0.0-2.ppc
>         gtk2-devel is needed by wireshark-1.0.0-2.ppc
>         elfutils-devel is needed by wireshark-1.0.0-2.ppc
>         pcre-devel is needed by wireshark-1.0.0-2.ppc
>         libselinux is needed by wireshark-1.0.0-2.ppc
>         gnutls-devel is needed by wireshark-1.0.0-2.ppc
>         desktop-file-utils is needed by wireshark-1.0.0-2.ppc
>         automake is needed by wireshark-1.0.0-2.ppc
>         xdg-utils is needed by wireshark-1.0.0-2.ppc
>         bison is needed by wireshark-1.0.0-2.ppc

Well, this is to be expected - many tools not contained in  the  ELDK
come  with  pretty long lists of such build dependencies, which might
be one of the reasons that they are note included in the ELDK...

> What should I do now? should I download these libraries as source rpm files
> and use the same procedure I used to cross compile wireshark? And is this
> the right way to cross compile Wireshark into powerpc?

ELDK is not perfect when registering dependencies,  so  it  might  be
worth to giv ethe "--nodeps" option to the build command, but in your
case  thjis  will  most  likely not help much - yes, to get wireshark
built you have to resolve the dependencies  by  building  the  needed
packages first. Be prepared that these wil add more dependencies, and
don't be surprised when the list of packages to build grows and grow,
and even contains circular dependencies.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way  is  to
make  it  so  simple that there are obviously no deficiencies and the
other is to make it so complicated that there are  no  obvious  defi-
ciencies.                             - Charles Anthony Richard Hoare