[ELDK] Rebuilding target package!

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Feb 28 14:32:47 CET 2009

Dear H Aslam,

In message <SNT107-W42B8DAE1BF27137BA102E696AA0 at phx.gbl> you wrote:

> Great.. installed ELDK4.2 on my current distribution (fedora core 5).
>
> WORKED LIKE A DREAM... :)

Fine.

> Now I'm pretty sure that the package needed for the target is located
> in the following dir:
> /opt/eldk/REBUILDS/RPMS/ppc/perl-ppc_4xx-5.8.8-18.ppc.rpm?? Am I
> right?

I have no idea what the "REBUILDS" directory is on your system, but
ELDK 4.2 already contains Perl, so there is no need to rebuild it - or
if you want to rebuild it, then there is at least no need for
additional packages.

> Was wondering which distribution ELDK was based upon.. so thanks for the info!

This has been mentioned a couple of times before her eon the list and
in the documentation. ELDK 4.2 is based on Fedora 7.

> If you know some good source sites so please don't hesitate to share :)

Just check the official MIRRORS lists...

> I found this:
> ftp://fr.rpmfind.net/linux/fedora/updates/7/SRPMS/pkgconfig-0.21-6.fc7.src.rpm
>
> Which i tried to crosscompile... not working ofcourse.. how should I proceed?

Fix the build problems until it works, then submit a patch.

> [root at fedora REBUILDS]# ${CROSS_COMPILE}rpmbuild -ba --define="_topdir `pwd`" SPECS/pkgconfig.spec
> + ./configure --host=i386-pc-linux-gnu --build=i386-pc-linux-gnu --target=ppc-denx-linux --program-prefix= --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var --sharedstatedir=/usr/com --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --disable-shared --with-pc-path=/usr/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig
> checking for gawk... gawk
> checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... no
> checking for i386-pc-linux-gnu-gcc... no
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking whether the C compiler works... configure: error: cannot run C compiled programs.
> If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'.
> See `config.log' for more details.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You should probably do that. Then try and seed the config tool with
correct config information for the target (ac_cv_* settings, see other
spec files).

> > To: hassan-aslam at hotmail.com
> > From: wd at denx.de
> > Subject: Re: [ELDK] Rebuilding target package!
> > Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 14:26:09 +0100
> >
> > Dear H Aslam,

And PLEASE stop top-posting / full-quoting. It's a PITA.

Please see http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Making files is easy under  the  UNIX  operating  system.  Therefore,
users  tend  to  create  numerous  files  using large amounts of file
space. It has been said that the only standard thing about  all  UNIX
systems  is  the  message-of-the-day  telling users to clean up their
files.                             - System V.2 administrator's guide