[ELDK] Kernel selection determined by toolchain?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Jan 31 20:26:28 CET 2009

Dear Jerry,

In message <8c09713c0901310348k3fcf1f43mf8118d44a3ba016a at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

>   I am working with  ELDK version 4.1 Build 2007-01-22-uclibc.

OK.

Out or curiousity: what exactly is your reason for using uClibc?

> As far as i know: uclibc(and glibc) relys on kenel header files ,which means
> the determined toolchain must have some restrain on the kernel version.

This is, at least in this wording, mostly a misconception.

Fact is that the header files you are using when linking your
application code should be the very same header files that were used
to build the toolchain. Period.

But as long as the Linux kernel does not  change  it's  API  to  user
space  applications  (which  might  happen,  but  it's  a  pretty big
exception), the Linux kernel is completely independent from the  tool
chain, the system libraries and the aplication code.

>   I checked the README file of my installed eldk distribution and did not
> find the uclibc package(or uclibc version) information.

Just look in the target's /lib directory and you will see
libuClibc-0.9.27.so - so ELDK 4.1 includes uClibc version 0.9.27.

> So my question is how should i select my kernel version which will co-work
> with my tollchain correctly? Maybe i got  wrong idea on somepoint?

Use any 2.6 kernel version you like; recent ones preferred :-)

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Harrisberger's Fourth Law of the Lab:
	Experience is directly proportional to the
	amount of equipment ruined.