[ELDK] Image compiled with ELDK for ARM not running on kernel compiled on cramfs file system

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Jul 15 13:03:05 CEST 2009

Dear Diptopal Basu,

In message <bd97640b0907150218o31794194vd55291b18aec90ec at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> I am working on Versatile ARM 926EJ-S baseboard and compiling a simple
> application applications with RVDS and ELDK compiler .
>
> We have an initramfs file system for our kernel , any application compiled
> with ELDK runs on the kernel , but if we try to use ARM RVDS format files (
> .axf ) it does not recognise the files .

We don't know RVDS nor the .axf  file format - this seems to be
something really special, so I'm not surprised that these cannot be
executed in a standard Linux system.

>   On the other hand reverse happens on the vendor supplied kernel which has
> cramfs file system .Files compiled with ELDK does not run on this kernel. I
> am suspecting the filesystem , what could be the problem ? Please comment .

Eventually your "vendor supplied kernel" has been modified to work
with RVDS, breaking compatibility with standard tool chains.

Please ask your vendor to provide support for RVDS or answer questions
about it - this is nothing where we can help you.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
                                                   - Arthur C. Clarke