[ELDK] arm-linux-x86 failure

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Mon Jul 27 15:04:25 CEST 2009

Hi Kin,

> On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 8:39 AM, Detlev Zundel <dzu at denx.de> wrote:
>
>     Hi Kin,
>
>     > Sorry for my misunderstanding.
>
>     You still continue to use the binaries in a form we explicitely told you
>     was not supported.  This kind of lessens my incentive to answer
>     subsequent questions :(
>

> Did I misread your docs?
>
>     http://ftp.denx.de/pub/eldk/4.2/arm-linux-x86/distribution/#Section_1.5.
>       + Compile a file:
>
>         bash$ ${CROSS_COMPILE}gcc -o hello_world hello_world.c
>
>         You can also call the cross tools using the generic prefix arm-linux-
>         for example:
>
>         bash$ arm-linux-gcc -o hello_world hello_world.c
>
>       + or, equivalently:
>
>         bash /opt/eldk/usr/arm-linux/bin/gcc -o hello_world hello_world.c

Yes, those are the docs - you did:

  dadix 2.6.28-13-generic ~/home/kin/coding$ arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc -mabi=apcs-gnu test.c -o test
  [...]
  dadix 2.6.28-13-generic ~/home/kin/coding$ arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc test.c -o

Notice the difference?

>     > Actually what I really need is to generate an ARM, rather than a "UNIX -
>     > System V" elf executable (as in OS/ABI shown by readelf), however, ELDK
>     > seems to be missing C runtime objects to support it:
>
>     Wolfgang answered that, but I'm curious?  Why *exactly* would you need
>     such object files?
>
> You mean why some kernels are still configured to only support ARM OS/ABI?
> I don't know either.  Legacy issue, I suppose.

Ah, so all you want is the old ABI, not the GNUEABI?  Then you should
download ELDK 4.1 for arm:

[dzu at pollux dzu]$ eldk-switch -q
Currently using eldk 4.1 from /opt/eldk-4.1
CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-
ARCH=arm
[dzu at pollux dzu]$ ${CROSS_COMPILE}gcc -o foo foo.c
[dzu at pollux dzu]$ ${CROSS_COMPILE}readelf -h foo | grep OS/ABI
  OS/ABI:                            ARM
[dzu at pollux dzu]$

Cheers
  Detlev