[ELDK] luseradd segfaults in ELDK 4.0

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Jul 31 22:32:01 CEST 2009

Dear Mike Conde,

In message <90b6a8e70907311052g4b3aedafoc33dcd86f02ebb95 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> The board vendor we are using based their drivers and tools on the
> ELDK 4.0 release, and I've discovered that the luseradd/lgroupadd/etc
> tools all segfault.  I'm pretty sure the problem has to do with
> incompatible shared libraries (specifically libc.so).  I searched the

Incompatible shared libraries? Incompatible with what?

There is indeed a problem with these tools, but I doubt that your
explanation is correct.

> I believe because of the hardware vendor's dependency on 4.0, I'm

Please explain where such a dependency exists.

Hardware dependency is usually only related to the Linux kernel and
drivers. And these are basicly completely independent from the rest
of the ELDK, i. e. for example from the tool chain and from the
target tools (root file system).

It is absolutely no problem to run a ELDk 4.0 based Linux kernel
with a ELDK 4.2 root file system.

> stuck with that distribution for now.  Does anybody have a
> recommendation for the least-effort path to getting working user
> management tools working on my target?  Is my only option to
> re-compile the user management tools against the older libs in 4.0?

I tried just that, and it does not work out of the box.

I recommend you just switch to using a more recent (ELDK 4.2) root
file system.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not sure.