[ELDK] Duplicaing Root Filesystem from NFS to Harddrive?

camel joe camel4joe at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 18:07:23 CEST 2009

Hi Detlev,

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 2:38 AM, Detlev Zundel<dzu at denx.de> wrote:
> Out of curiosity - what was the problem?

I don't know what the problem was but I solved the problem by
duplicating the file directory differently.

BEFORE: I duplicated the root filesystem directory WITHIN the console
of the board and boot-up had lots of errors stemmed from files under
/proc.

AFTER:    I duplicated the root filesystem directory WITHIN the NFS
server by making a tar ball from /opt/delk/ppc_4xx. And then I
untar'ed it WITHIN the console into the hard disk's partition.

With the root filesystem on the hard disk, the board has been running
for over 17 hours, and it seems working well.

>> Now a new question, Is it possible to let U-boot boot up the kernel
>> that is stored in the hard disk?
>
> You would need a driver in U-Boot for your harddisk controller.
> Checking current sources I can only find a driver for a sil3114
> (drivers/block/sata_sil3114.c) which I do not know much about.  Let's
> see - it is used only by one board - MPC8349ITX.  That processor only
> has PCI, so not only is the driver not for the specific device, it was
> obviously only tested on PCI - but it may be a start anyway.
>
> You could ask Timur Tabi (timur at freescale dot com) being the
> maintainer for this board for more detail...

Thank you very much for the info and I'll look into it.

--Joe