[ELDK] ppc boot fails at PCI detection.

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Mar 9 10:05:05 CET 2009

Dear Renjith,

in message <a8474bd70903081839j3520e7e8y7dc506e73a6a0456 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

>       [ Sequoia - AMCC PPC440EPx Evaluation Board, Rev. F, PCI=33 MHz  ].

OK.

>       U-Boot 1.2.0-gc0c292b2 (Jun  5 2007 - 07:16:12)

That's very old...

> I have also tried , latest u-boot from git (U-Boot 2009.03-rc1-00000-g00cc55
> ) with a nand-boot option(u-boot-nand.bin) and found thing are same.

... so the U-Boot version is probably not the problem.

> "Some times' hanging at
>         PCI:   Bus Dev VenId DevId Class Int
> or at
>        Uncompressing Kernel Image ... OK
> while Linux boot Up.

You did not mention if the board reliably comes up without PCI cards
inserted?

> I used a PCI card (DVR-video capture card v2.2). It got detected and not
> hanging.

You mean, with this PCI card there is never any problem?

> If I use a PCI-SATA (PCI v2.3) card (SIL3114, SATA1 from Silicon Image), it
> has more frequent problem.
> So I am also doubting, even it could be a Hardware trouble (at the interface
> level).

Did you test this SIL3114 card in another 3.3V only system?

> To nullify the SATA BIOS influence , I tried Removing the Device ROM chip
> and tried , but result same.

An x86 BIOS usually does not do much on a PowerPC system ;-)

> (2)
> Also at this occasion, I would like to know, is there any special support
> needed to be done at BootLoader , so that it will support PCI-SATA card.
> Because, In normal desktop , we needed to enable SATA support specially in
> BIOS, to detect the card and its function.

Do you want to use SATA in U-Boot?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
egrep patterns are full regular expressions; it uses a fast  determi-
nistic algorithm that sometimes needs exponential space.
- unix manuals