[ELDK] ppc boot fails at PCI detection.

renjith kumar renjithkumar at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 02:39:31 CET 2009

Dear Wolfgang Denk,

I am using Embedded Planet Sequoia board " DES0211 11FAB 11" based on
AMCCPowerPC (PPC440EPx-SUA533T
/ 2/20/2007).
      [ Sequoia - AMCC PPC440EPx Evaluation Board, Rev. F, PCI=33 MHz  ].
and
      U-Boot 1.2.0-gc0c292b2 (Jun  5 2007 - 07:16:12)
and
      I am using eldk 4.2 ( Linux-2.6.24 ).

I have also tried , latest u-boot from git (U-Boot 2009.03-rc1-00000-g00cc55
) with a nand-boot option(u-boot-nand.bin) and found thing are same.

"Some times' hanging at
        PCI:   Bus Dev VenId DevId Class Int
or at
       Uncompressing Kernel Image ... OK
while Linux boot Up.

I used a PCI card (DVR-video capture card v2.2). It got detected and not
hanging.
If I use a PCI-SATA (PCI v2.3) card (SIL3114, SATA1 from Silicon Image), it
has more frequent problem.
So I am also doubting, even it could be a Hardware trouble (at the interface
level).

To nullify the SATA BIOS influence , I tried Removing the Device ROM chip
and tried , but result same.

(2)
Also at this occasion, I would like to know, is there any special support
needed to be done at BootLoader , so that it will support PCI-SATA card.
Because, In normal desktop , we needed to enable SATA support specially in
BIOS, to detect the card and its function.

With Thanks ,
Renjith

--
Thanks'n Regards,