[ELDK] PPC 405EX ethernet in MII mode instead of RGMII?

Nathan French nathan.french at onrampwireless.com
Tue May 5 20:53:26 CEST 2009

I'm bringing up a board that is similar to a Kilauea/Halakea but with a
NatSemi DP83640 ethernet phy.  We've wired the phy up for MII mode and
have it working with U-Boot after some slight modifications to U-Boot
(setting the phy address and MII mode for EMAC0).

Now I've got linux running on the board.  I'm using a kernel config from
AMCC.  I see that linux is seeing the phy at the right address (0x11)
and configuring it for RGMII (not the mode we're using).  Here's a
snippet from the kernel log:

~ # grep MII /var/log/messages
Dec 31 18:00:13 kilauea user.info kernel:
RGMII /plb/opb/emac-rgmii at ef600b00 initialized with MDIO support
Dec 31 18:00:13 kilauea user.notice
kernel: /plb/opb/emac-rgmii at ef600b00: input 0 in RGMII mode
Dec 31 18:00:13 kilauea user.warn kernel: eth0: found Generic MII PHY
(0x11)

I tried defining CONFIG_MII=y in my kernel config since it is disabled
in the AMCC config.  I didn't see a change.

I took a quick look at arch/ppc/platforms/4xx/kilauea.c and it looks
like the EMAC0 is hard-coded for RGMII.

I'm a little green with linux (developed a couple simple PCI drivers,
nothing complicated) so I don't really know the right way to attack
this.  Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Nathan French