[ELDK] Questions wrt embedded web server

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri May 29 11:54:51 CEST 2009

Dear Frank,

In message <E3715C2D831A5B44B8427BD18794C5D7607C at bambi.int.slums.de> you wrote:

> All Perl packages should have a microperl built option in form
> of a dedicated makefile, for example Makefile.micro. I've just
> successfully built microperl for a Power PC architecture using ELDK 4.2.
>
> It's the absolute bare minimum built for Perl with no outside
> dependencies
> other than ANSI C and the make utility itself. The statically linked
> excecutable
> was about 1.2 MB. Still I wouldn't recommend making extensive usage of
> perl on
> an embedded platform for various reasons, especially the performance
> overhead
> that comes with an interpreted language.

Also keep in mind that Perl (atl east by default) uses floating point
variables for numerical variables, which is painfully slow on
architectured that don't have a FPU (MPC8xx, PPC40x, most ARM, ...).

> Don't waste your time trying to cross-compile the complete perl package,
> it makes
> extensive use of Configure scripts that perform a great deal of tests on
> the installation
> machine (on which you're typically not running when doing the built with
> a host-target setup !! )
> before generating the appropriate files for the package's built.

ELDK 4.2 contains Perl, so the problem of cross-compilation can be
considered solved.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
All he had was nothing, but that was something, and now it  had  been
taken away.                             - Terry Pratchett, _Sourcery_