[ELDK] drivers/rtc/hctosys.c: unable to open rtc device (rtc0)

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Nov 4 10:47:32 CET 2009

Dear "Chris Alfred",

In message <60214D92E8264DDD810054EC750DA3A9 at kos> you wrote:
> During our MPC5200 kernel startup, we get:
>
> [    1.130202] drivers/rtc/hctosys.c: unable to open rtc device (rtc0)

Fix RTC support, then?

> The RTC on the MPC5200 is not really useful to us as it is not battery
> backed-up - we use NTP instead.

Well, this obviously depends on your hardware design.

> Is it ok to set CONFIG_RTC_HCTOSYS=n ?

We don't know your hardware nor your requirements, so how should we
be able to answer this?

> Or did we not configure the MPC5200 RTC correctly?

Looks like that.

Um.. what exactly was the ELDK related part of this question? To me it
seems to be more appropriate for a generic PowerPC Linux mailing list.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little  or  no  influence  on
society.                                                 - Mark Twain