[ELDK] Problems using libxml2

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Nov 11 22:20:51 CET 2009

Dear Michael Steiger,

In message <4AFAC010.9080904 at infoworks.at> you wrote:

> I am new to cross-compiling so maybe my questions are not really new but
> I googled for hours and looked through the mailing list archive with no
> solution for my problem.
>
> I'm using ELDK 4.2 with CentOS 5 and the target platform is ppc_85xx.
> In general everything is working but I had to add xml support and found
> that libxml2 is one of the supplied packages. And then the problems started.
>
> First I tried to install the libxml2-devel rpm using
> ${CROSS_COMPILE}rpm -i

Here I'm missing a step in your desription: as you noted,
/usr/lib/libxml2.so* is part of the ELDK, so what do you need
libxml2-devel for?

> This failed with
> Failed dependencies: pkgconfig-ppc_85xx is needed
>
> But I could not find pkgconfig in the eldk tree.

So just ignore the dependency - try "${CROSS_COMPILE}rpm --nodeps -i ..."

> Then I unpacked the rpm manually and copied the files to the
> /opt/eldk/ppc_85xx/usr tree.
>
> Compilation worked but while linking the libxml2.a file could not be
> found. So I specified it using the full qualified filename.
>
> Then the next link error followed.
>
> /opt/eldk/usr/../ppc_85xx/lib/libc.a(s_isinfl.o): In function `__isinfl:
> (.text+0x0): multiple definition of `___isinfl'
> /opt/eldk/usr/../ppc_85xx/lib/libm.a(m_isinfl.o):(.text+0x0): first
> defined here
> /opt/eldk/usr/../ppc_85xx/lib/libc.a(s_isnanl.o): In function `__isnanl:
> (.text+0x0): multiple definition of `___isnanl'
> /opt/eldk/usr/../ppc_85xx/lib/libm.a(m_isnanl.o):(.text+0x0): first
> defined here

Are you sure that you used sane compiler options? Keep in mind that
the 85xx don't have a FPU, and that the SPE is used for floating point
calculations.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The nice thing about  standards  is that there are  so many to choose
from.                                           - Andrew S. Tanenbaum