[ELDK] Problems using libxml2

Michael Steiger mslists at infoworks.at
Thu Nov 12 08:28:06 CET 2009

Good morning,
On 11.11.2009 22:20 Wolfgang Denk said the following:
> Dear Michael Steiger,
>
> In message<4AFAC010.9080904 at infoworks.at>  you wrote:
>>
>> I am new to cross-compiling so maybe my questions are not really new but
>> I googled for hours and looked through the mailing list archive with no
>> solution for my problem.
>>
>> I'm using ELDK 4.2 with CentOS 5 and the target platform is ppc_85xx.
>> In general everything is working but I had to add xml support and found
>> that libxml2 is one of the supplied packages. And then the problems started.
>>
>> First I tried to install the libxml2-devel rpm using
>> ${CROSS_COMPILE}rpm -i
>
> Here I'm missing a step in your desription: as you noted,
> /usr/lib/libxml2.so* is part of the ELDK, so what do you need
> libxml2-devel for?

Yesterday I forgot one part of my attempts:
While trying to use the shared library (libxml2.so.2 and
libxml2.so.2.6.29 are already installed) I get the error:
ld: cannot find -lxml2

Using the static library from the libxml2-devel packages it works.

But as I found out later this happens because the makefile specifies the
-static
linker flag. I will have to ask my supplier if this is really needed.

Regards
Michael