[ELDK] Problems using libxml2

Michael Steiger mslists at infoworks.at
Fri Nov 13 08:43:21 CET 2009

On 12.11.2009 12:28 Wolfgang Denk said the following:
 > In message <4AFBB906.2060008 at infoworks.at> you wrote:
 >>
 >> Yesterday I forgot one part of my attempts:
 >> While trying to use the shared library (libxml2.so.2 and
 >> libxml2.so.2.6.29 are already installed) I get the error:
 >> ld: cannot find -lxml2
 >
 > Did you try adding "/usr/lib" to your /etc/ld.so.conf file (resp.
 > /opt/eldk/ppc_85xx/etc/ld.so.conf) ?
There is by default an empty /opt/eldk/ppc_85xx/etc/ld.so.conf and there
is no change after adding /usr/lib which I think should not be necessary
at all.

But I already solved the problem.
There is only
/opt/eldk/ppc_85xx/usr/lib/libxml2.so.2
/opt/eldk/ppc_85xx/usr/lib/libxml2.so.2.6.29
but no
libxml2.so

I think the linker is only looking for .so files so I created a link
from .so to .so.2 and now it correctly links.

 >> But as I found out later this happens because the makefile specifies the
 >> -static
 >> linker flag. I will have to ask my supplier if this is really needed.
 >
 > That should not be needed. Static linking with glibc is usually not a
 > wise thing to do.
I thought so. Will check with the supplier.

Best regards
Michael