[ELDK] Problem for drivering USB laser printer on kilauea-linux

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Wed Nov 18 15:18:07 CET 2009

Hi Bill Sun,

On Wednesday 18 November 2009 11:06:55 噜斯卡 孙 wrote:
>         Thank you for your reply.

Please keep the ELDK list on Cc. I added it back.

>         According to your reply, I download the linux2.6.32.rc7(I got it by
>   'git clone git://www.denx.de/git/linux-2.6-denx.git linux-2.6-denx'). But
>  when I downloaded it onto kilauea, my USB disk didn't work(It works on
>  linux2.6.25). And then I config 'CONFIG_USB_PRINTER=y', I didn't get the
>  printer works. I try to add some item in 'make menuconfig', but the USB
>  never works. There is another appearance: When a USB device is inserted,
>  the linux2.6.25 can probe the divice and print the information about it.
>  But nothing happened on linux2.6.32.rc7 when the USB device inserted.
>  Maybe there are some item I didn't config into the kernel, or maybe the
>  kernel I downloaded is not suitable. Can you give me more suggestion?

This kernel version should be ok. Here a log from my Kilauea board booting
this kernel version:

## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 01000000 ...
   Image Name:   Linux-2.6.32-rc7-01409-g358cd6f
   Created:      2009-11-18  14:16:37 UTC
   Image Type:   PowerPC Linux Kernel Image (gzip compressed)
   Data Size:    1782923 Bytes =  1.7 MB
   Load Address: 00000000
   Entry Point:  00000000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
## Flattened Device Tree blob at 01800000
   Booting using the fdt blob at 0x1800000
   Uncompressing Kernel Image ... OK
Using PowerPC 40x Platform machine description
Linux version 2.6.32-rc7-01409-g358cd6f (stefan at stefan-desktop) (gcc version
4.2.2) #1 Wed Nov 18 15:16:31 CET 2009
Zone PFN ranges:
  DMA      0x00000000 -> 0x00010000
  Normal   0x00010000 -> 0x00010000
Movable zone start PFN for each node
early_node_map[1] active PFN ranges
    0: 0x00000000 -> 0x00010000
MMU: Allocated 1088 bytes of context maps for 255 contexts
Built 1 zonelists in Zone order, mobility grouping on.  Total pages: 65024
Kernel command line: root=/dev/nfs rw nfsroot=10.0.0.152:/opt/eldk/ppc_4xx
ip=10.0.0.231:10.0.0.152::255.255.255.0:kilauea:eth0:off panic=1
console=ttyS0,115200
PID hash table entries: 1024 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)
Dentry cache hash table entries: 32768 (order: 5, 131072 bytes)
Inode-cache hash table entries: 16384 (order: 4, 65536 bytes)
Memory: 255744k/262144k available (3524k kernel code, 6080k reserved, 160k
data, 119k bss, 152k init)
Kernel virtual memory layout:
  * 0xffffe000..0xfffff000  : fixmap
  * 0xfde00000..0xfe000000  : consistent mem
  * 0xfde00000..0xfde00000  : early ioremap
  * 0xd1000000..0xfde00000  : vmalloc & ioremap
SLUB: Genslabs=11, HWalign=32, Order=0-3, MinObjects=0, CPUs=1, Nodes=1
Hierarchical RCU implementation.
NR_IRQS:512
UIC0 (32 IRQ sources) at DCR 0xc0
UIC1 (32 IRQ sources) at DCR 0xd0
UIC2 (32 IRQ sources) at DCR 0xe0
clocksource: timebase mult[6aaaab] shift[22] registered
Mount-cache hash table entries: 512
NET: Registered protocol family 16
PCIE0: Checking link...
PCIE0: No device detected.
PCI host bridge /plb/pciex at 0a0000000 (primary) ranges:
 MEM 0x0000000090000000..0x0000000097ffffff -> 0x0000000080000000
  IO 0x00000000e0000000..0x00000000e000ffff -> 0x0000000000000000
4xx PCI DMA offset set to 0x00000000
PCIE0: successfully set as root-complex
PCIE1: Checking link...
PCIE1: No device detected.
PCI host bridge /plb/pciex at 0c0000000 (primary) ranges:
 MEM 0x0000000098000000..0x000000009fffffff -> 0x0000000080000000
  IO 0x00000000e0010000..0x00000000e001ffff -> 0x0000000000000000
4xx PCI DMA offset set to 0x00000000
PCIE1: successfully set as root-complex
PCI: Probing PCI hardware
PCI: Hiding 4xx host bridge resources 0000:00:00.0
PCI: Hiding 4xx host bridge resources 0001:40:00.0
pci 0000:00:00.0: PCI bridge, secondary bus 0000:01
pci 0000:00:00.0:   IO window: disabled
pci 0000:00:00.0:   MEM window: disabled
pci 0000:00:00.0:   PREFETCH window: disabled
pci 0001:40:00.0: PCI bridge, secondary bus 0001:41
pci 0001:40:00.0:   IO window: disabled
pci 0001:40:00.0:   MEM window: disabled
pci 0001:40:00.0:   PREFETCH window: disabled
bio: create slab <bio-0> at 0
vgaarb: loaded
SCSI subsystem initialized
usbcore: registered new interface driver usbfs
usbcore: registered new interface driver hub
usbcore: registered new device driver usb
Switching to clocksource timebase
NET: Registered protocol family 2
IP route cache hash table entries: 2048 (order: 1, 8192 bytes)
TCP established hash table entries: 8192 (order: 4, 65536 bytes)
TCP bind hash table entries: 8192 (order: 3, 32768 bytes)
TCP reno registered
NET: Registered protocol family 1
RPC: Registered udp transport module.
RPC: Registered tcp transport module.
RPC: Registered tcp NFSv4.1 backchannel transport module.
JFFS2 version 2.2. (NAND) © 2001-2006 Red Hat, Inc.
msgmni has been set to 500
io scheduler noop registered
io scheduler anticipatory registered (default)
io scheduler deadline registered
io scheduler cfq registered
Serial: 8250/16550 driver, 4 ports, IRQ sharing enabled
serial8250.0: ttyS0 at MMIO 0xef600200 (irq = 26) is a 16550A
console [ttyS0] enabled
serial8250.0: ttyS1 at MMIO 0xef600300 (irq = 16) is a 16550A
ef600200.serial: ttyS0 at MMIO 0xef600200 (irq = 26) is a 16550
ef600300.serial: ttyS1 at MMIO 0xef600300 (irq = 16) is a 16550
brd: module loaded
fc000000.nor_flash: Found 1 x16 devices at 0x0 in 16-bit bank
 Amd/Fujitsu Extended Query Table at 0x0040
fc000000.nor_flash: CFI does not contain boot bank location. Assuming top.
number of CFI chips: 1
cfi_cmdset_0002: Disabling erase-suspend-program due to code brokenness.
RedBoot partition parsing not available
Creating 6 MTD partitions on "fc000000.nor_flash":
0x000000000000-0x0000001e0000 : "kernel"
0x0000001e0000-0x000000200000 : "dtb"
0x000000200000-0x000000400000 : "root"
0x000000400000-0x000003f60000 : "user"
0x000003f60000-0x000003fa0000 : "env"
0x000003fa0000-0x000004000000 : "u-boot"
NAND device: Manufacturer ID: 0xec, Chip ID: 0x76 (Samsung NAND 64MiB 3,3V 8-
bit)
Scanning device for bad blocks
Creating 2 MTD partitions on "f8000000.ndfc.nand":
0x000000000000-0x000000100000 : "u-boot"
0x000000000000-0x000003f00000 : "user"
PPC 4xx OCP EMAC driver, version 3.54
MAL v2 /plb/mcmal, 2 TX channels, 2 RX channels
RGMII /plb/opb/emac-rgmii at ef600b00 initialized with MDIO support
/plb/opb/emac-rgmii at ef600b00: input 0 in RGMII mode
eth0: EMAC-0 /plb/opb/ethernet at ef600900, MAC 00:06:4b:10:00:01
eth0: found Marvell 88E1111 Ethernet PHY (0x01)
/plb/opb/emac-rgmii at ef600b00: input 1 in RGMII mode
eth1: EMAC-1 /plb/opb/ethernet at ef600a00, MAC 00:06:4b:10:00:02
eth1: found Marvell 88E1111 Ethernet PHY (0x02)
Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
USB Mass Storage support registered.
dwc_otg: version 2.60a 22-NOV-2006
dwc_otg: Shared Tx FIFO mode
dwc_otg: Using DMA mode
dwc_otg dwc_otg.0: DWC OTG Controller
dwc_otg dwc_otg.0: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
dwc_otg dwc_otg.0: irq 17, io mem 0x00000000
dwc_otg: Init: Port Power? op_state=1
dwc_otg: Init: Power Port (0)
usb usb1: New USB device found, idVendor=1d6b, idProduct=0002
usb usb1: New USB device strings: Mfr=3, Product=2, SerialNumber=1
usb usb1: Product: DWC OTG Controller
usb usb1: Manufacturer: Linux 2.6.32-rc7-01409-g358cd6f dwc_otg_hcd
usb usb1: SerialNumber: dwc_otg.0
usb usb1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
hub 1-0:1.0: USB hub found
hub 1-0:1.0: 1 port detected
i2c /dev entries driver
ibm-iic ef600400.i2c: using standard (100 kHz) mode
rtc-ds1307 0-0068: rtc core: registered ds1338 as rtc0
rtc-ds1307 0-0068: 56 bytes nvram
ibm-iic ef600500.i2c: using standard (100 kHz) mode
lm75 0-0048: hwmon0: sensor 'ds1775'
usb 1-1: new high speed USB device using dwc_otg and address 2
TCP cubic registered
NET: Registered protocol family 17
rtc-ds1307 0-0068: setting system clock to 2009-11-18 16:18:09 UTC
(1258561089)
usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=1a40, idProduct=0101
usb 1-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=1, SerialNumber=0
usb 1-1: Product: USB 2.0 Hub
hub 1-1:1.0: USB hub found
hub 1-1:1.0: 4 ports detected
usb 1-1.1: new high speed USB device using dwc_otg and address 3
usb 1-1.1: New USB device found, idVendor=090c, idProduct=1000
usb 1-1.1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
usb 1-1.1: Product: USB DISK
usb 1-1.1: Manufacturer: SMI Corporation
usb 1-1.1: SerialNumber: AA04012700007154
usb 1-1.1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
eth0: link is down
eth0: link is up, 100 FDX, pause enabled
IP-Config: Complete:
     device=eth0, addr=10.0.0.231, mask=255.255.255.0, gw=255.255.255.255,
     host=kilauea, domain=, nis-domain=(none),
     bootserver=10.0.0.152, rootserver=10.0.0.152, rootpath=
Looking up port of RPC 100003/2 on 10.0.0.152
Looking up port of RPC 100005/1 on 10.0.0.152
VFS: Mounted root (nfs filesystem) on device 0:14.
Freeing unused kernel memory: 152k init
modprobe: FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.32-rc7-01409-
g358cd6f/modules.dep: No such file or directory

modprobe: FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.32-rc7-01409-
g358cd6f/modules.dep: No such file or directory

INIT: version 2.86 booting
                Welcome to DENX Embedded Linux Environment
                Press 'I' to enter interactive startup.
Setting clock : Wed Nov 18 16:18:13 CET 2009 [  OK  ]
Building the cache scsi 0:0:0:0: Direct-Access     USB      Flash Disk
1100 PQ: 0 ANSI: 0 CCS
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 953344 512-byte logical blocks: (488 MB/465 MiB)
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
 sda: sda1
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI removable disk
[  OK  ]

Did you use the kilauea_defconfig from this kernel version? At least USB file
storage should be supported (as you can see from the log above).

Cheers,
Stefan

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-0 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: office at denx.de