[ELDK] Modifying Load Location of Ramdisk

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Nov 18 19:49:28 CET 2009

Dear Jonathan Haws,

In message <BB99A6BA28709744BF22A68E6D7EB51F03312D4101 at midas.usurf.usu.edu> you wrote:

> I need to modify the load location of the Ramdisk. It is loading
> into memory that I need to reserve for DMA operations. Is there a
> parameter in the Makefile of the RFSB or a parameter that I can pass
> to mkimage to handle that? If not, how can it be done?

This has nothing to do with the root file system builder. It is just a
U-Boot configuration.

First, you should think (or explain) how your "DMA memory reservation"
is supposed to work. Eventually you might want to use the "protected
RAM" feature in U-Boot, which also allows to pass the Linux kernel a
"mem=..." argument so it does not meddle with this memory area.

In addition or alternatively you might want to check out the
"initrd_high" environment variable - see the U-Boot "README" for
details.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Documentation is the castor oil of programming.
Managers know it must be good because the programmers hate it so much.