[ELDK] adding new packages to ELDK

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Nov 27 10:40:23 CET 2009

Dear Matthias,

In message <569685F045B85741820D0265E0D2999D019CFD70 at tddhh01.hh.thales-naval.de> you wrote:

> I am using the ELDK in the ppc_85xx port. How do I add new packages to my
> system?
>
> Are there specific package servers? I suppose, I have to rebuild every
> package for my target architecture, so I think I have to use Source-RPMs,
> right? But how?

Correct, you always start from a source RPM (or a tarball and a
self-mase .spec file). If the package is "friendly" towards
cross-building, you can just follow the instructions in the DULG:
http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/ELDKRebuildingComponents#Section_3.8.2.

Note that in almost all cases this will not work out of the box.
More or less tedious work will be needed to make the package build in
the cross environment.

You gotta do this at least once to get a feeling for the amount of
effort that was and is needed to create something as the ELDK...

> I'm sorry, but I am a Fedora noob, so how's the package management working?
> (Please don't say like in Red Hat ;-) )

man rpm ?

> Is there something in ELDK(!) like in Debian, where I define my source
> servers, say aptitute install ... and off it goes?

Heh. I wish we had something like that. But as long as we don't have a
similarly active community as Deban you have to do this yourself,
package by package.

Note 1: use "--nodeps" to get anything working

Note 2: Once you got a new package to build, please post your patches
	/ results.

Note 3: if you just need something for quick testing, it makes much
	more sense to build natively on the target system - at least
	then you don't have to bother about cross-building issues. And
	this is one of the major advantages of ELDK over other cross
	development environments like LTIB, OpenEmbedded, OpenWRT,
	BuildRoot, PTXDist, ... - we provide a pretty complete native
	build environment, too. For exactly this purpose.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
ADVISORY:  There is  an  Extremely Small  but  Nonzero  Chance  That,
Through a Process Know as "Tunneling," This Product May Spontaneously
Disappear  from Its Present Location and Reappear at Any Random Place
in the Universe, Including Your Neighbor's Domicile. The Manufacturer
Will Not Be Responsible for Any Damages  or  Inconvenience  That  May
Result.