[ELDK] hard freeze / spontaneous reboot in native compiles (ELDK 4.2, PPC6xx, NFS root)

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Apr 22 14:07:23 CEST 2010

Dear Anthony Foiani,

In message <g1ve8osw6.fsf at dworkin.scrye.com> you wrote:

> I'm using the ppc-6xx portion of ELDK 4.2 as an NFS root on a system
> that U-Boot 2009.06 detects as:
>
>   CPU:   e300c1, MPC8347_PBGA_EA, Rev: 3.0 at 400 MHz, CSB: 266.667 MHz
>
> After adding a /dev directory and a few nodes, I successfully got

Hm... did you not run the ELKD_MAKEDEV  (and ELDK_FIXOWNER ?)
script(s) as documented?

> My current goal is to build the boost libraries natively.  However,
> when I try to do anything with the boost tools, the box locks up
> within a few seconds -- no oops message, no nothing.  Sometimes it
> will automatically reboot, other times it'll just sit there.

Are you absolutely sure that your system is really running stable?
symptoms like this are often caused by memory errors, whuich get
triggered under high load (typically when the RAM gets accessed in
burst mode more frequently). See
http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/LinuxCrashesRandomly

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
A Perl script is correct if it's halfway readable and  gets  the  job
done before your boss fires you.
                       - L. Wall & R. L. Schwartz, _Programming Perl_