[ELDK] Not able to mount USB stick on ELDK 4.2 compiled filesystem

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Aug 11 14:26:45 CEST 2010

Dear Ratheendran R,

In message <AANLkTim+f+VfbQEaW-oEmQy1wiLS3YyXAgWJp2VikLfN at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> STEP1
> I downloaded from the link below.
> 1. Download arm-2008-11-24.iso from your site "
> http://ftp.denx.de/pub/eldk/4.2/arm-linux-x86/iso/" site

Did you also INSTALL the ELDK?  Without doing this first, you cannot
really use it.

> STEP2
> I updated my file-system with tool-chain library and cross-compiled busybox.
> 1.Building the Root file system
> untar the root_qtopia.tar.gz which is available on CD.

on CD? Which CD?  This is certainly not part of the ELDK distribution
media.

> cd root_qtopia
> rm bin sbin lib usr -rf

Be careful. It is good old tradition that command line options
_preceed_ any file arguments. Some commands may accept this (the "rm"
from the GNU coreutils package does), but others may not.

> cp /opt/ELDK/arm/lib . rf

I guess this raised an errro?

> STEP3
> 2. cross compiled BusyBox with this toolchain and copied the following
> folders to rootfs_qtopia.

Why did you not use the existing BusyBox binaries that come with the
ELDK?

> cp <path to BusyBox Install>/{bin,sbin,usr}    root_qtopia/     -rf

You might want to look into the root file system builder, rfsb. See
here:  http://git.denx.de/?p=rfsb.git

> ISSUE is here-->
> Now when I try to mount the USB to file system,I get the below message.
>      mount /dev/sda1 /media/
>      mount: mounting /dev/sda1 on /media/ failed: No such file or directory.
>

> Kindly let me know on how to fix this issue.

Well, isn't the error message clear enough? Does the mount point
/media/ exist in your file system?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Man did not weave the web of life; he  is  merely  a  strand  in  it.
Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself.     - Seattle [1854]