[ELDK] ELDK linker and shared libraries

Rob Hammond rhammond at waratek.com
Tue Dec 14 12:54:10 CET 2010

Hi, I wonder if anyone knows why the following is happening or could
help me work out what I need to do for the linker to get shared
libaries when cross compiling GNU Classpath

I have installed ELDK on a ppc 85xx board and and am attempting to
cross compile GNU Classpath 0.98 over to it.
My CROSS_COMPILE variable is set as ".../usr/ppc_85xx-".

my configure line is:-

sudo ./configure  --host=ppc-linux  --disable-gtk-peer
--disable-gconf-peer --disable-plugin CC=${CROSS_COMPILE}gcc
>output.txt

but the problem is here in the output

checking whether the /fulcrum/src/eldk-4.1/usr/bin/ppc_85xx-gcc linker
(/fulcrum/src/eldk-4.1/usr/powerpc-linux/bin/ld) supports shared
libraries... $
checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
checking how to hardcode library paths into programs... unsupported
checking if libtool supports shared libraries... no
checking whether to build shared libraries... no

so it's telling me that it not going to build Shared Libraries but
static ones which I don't want since JamVM which I want to
crosscompile next needs the .so files

adding -enable-shared=yes to the config doesn't work either

Thanks

Rob