[ELDK] ELDK linker and shared libraries

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Dec 14 15:55:15 CET 2010

Dear Rob Hammond,

In message <AANLkTikiKPRT=kS2rqggGFoB-M1HXHp5Z0ZkoqJ_SPts at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
> Hi, I wonder if anyone knows why the following is happening or could
> help me work out what I need to do for the linker to get shared
> libaries when cross compiling GNU Classpath
>
> I have installed ELDK on a ppc 85xx board and and am attempting to
> cross compile GNU Classpath 0.98 over to it.
> My CROSS_COMPILE variable is set as ".../usr/ppc_85xx-".

Is it?  And why?

Did you read the documentation?  I am prety sure that you did not find
that idea there.

> checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
> checking how to hardcode library paths into programs... unsupported
> checking whether stripping libraries is possible... yes
> checking if libtool supports shared libraries... no

Seems you already have a libtool problem here.  Most probably bcause
it does not understand that you are cross-building.  Check the
logfiles, and pre-seed the necessary ac_* variables in your build
environment.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
There are three things I always forget. Names, faces -  the  third  I
can't remember.                                         - Italo Svevo