[ELDK] Ramdisk image for 2.6.34 linux

alex daniloff alex_daniloff at mail.ru
Mon Jul 12 23:26:34 CEST 2010

> > I'am using ELDK 4.2, 2.6.34 linux with config files for my ppc460gt custom board and RFSB from git for ramdisk generation
> >
> > kernel image is running with - ramdisk_size=32768 root=/dev/ram rw console=ttyS2,115200
> > and ramdisk size is also 32768
>
> Whoy whoud you want to do that? A ramdisk of that size is the worst
> choice of a root file system you can make. Please read the manual!
>
> > => bootm 400000
> > WARNING: bootm_low + bootm_size exceed eff. memory
>
> What exactly are your environment settings (and why did you set
> these like that) ?
>
> > WARNING: adjusting available memory to 10000000
> > ## Current stack ends at 0x0e7ffcd0
> > *  kernel: cmdline image address = 0x00400000
> > ## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 00400000 ...
> >    Image Name:   Linux Multiboot Image
> >    Image Type:   PowerPC Linux Multi-File Image (gzip compressed)
> >    Data Size:    3247416 Bytes =  3.1 MB
> >    Load Address: 00000000
> >    Entry Point:  00000000
> >    Contents:
> >       Image 0: 1493424 Bytes =  1.4 MB
> >       Image 1: 1733976 Bytes =  1.7 MB
> >       Image 2: 20000 Bytes = 19.5 kB
>
> That doesn't seem is if you actually needed 32 MB for the ramdisk?

> > Kernel command line: ramdisk_size=32768 root=/dev/ram rw console=ttyS2,115200
> -----------------------------------------------------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Are you sure of this?
>
> Is this really supported in your kernel port, and in your device tree?
>
> > After that i see no activity. Can you help me with ramdisk image?
>
> How could we do that?
>
> We don't know your hardware, we don't know your kernel port, we don't
> know your kernel configuration, we don't know your device tree, we
> don't know your root file system or which device nodes it contains,
> we don't know anything about your system.
>
> Sorry - based on zero input you cannot expect much useful output.

I'am waiting for -
 ### Application running ...
 root:~>
after
 RAMDISK: gzip image found at block 0
 VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) on device 1:0.
 Freeing unused kernel memory: 136k init

it hangs in run_init_process("/sbin/init")

I have tried with ramdisk image from ELDK 4.2 and custom build RFSB project with the same result.
bootargs console=ttyS2,115200 is correct.

will ramdisk image from eldk 4.2 work with linux 2.6.34?
will ramdisk image build from RFSB project work with linux 2.6.34?