[ELDK] Ramdisk image for 2.6.34 linux

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jul 13 00:00:54 CEST 2010

Dear alex daniloff,

In message <E1OYQWI-0007cM-00.alex_daniloff-mail-ru at f169.mail.ru> you wrote:

> > > kernel image is running with - ramdisk_size=32768 root=/dev/ram rw console=ttyS2,115200
> > > and ramdisk size is also 32768
> >
> > Whoy whoud you want to do that? A ramdisk of that size is the worst
> > choice of a root file system you can make. Please read the manual!

You seem to ignore my hints...

> > > => bootm 400000
> > > WARNING: bootm_low + bootm_size exceed eff. memory
> >
> > What exactly are your environment settings (and why did you set
> > these like that) ?

You ignore my questions as well...

> > >    Contents:
> > >       Image 0: 1493424 Bytes =  1.4 MB
> > >       Image 1: 1733976 Bytes =  1.7 MB
> > >       Image 2: 20000 Bytes = 19.5 kB
> >
> > That doesn't seem is if you actually needed 32 MB for the ramdisk?

and again...

> > > Kernel command line: ramdisk_size=32768 root=/dev/ram rw console=ttyS2,115200
> > -----------------------------------------------------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > Are you sure of this?
> >
> > Is this really supported in your kernel port, and in your device tree?

and again...

> > > After that i see no activity. Can you help me with ramdisk image?
> >
> > How could we do that?
> >
> > We don't know your hardware, we don't know your kernel port, we don't
> > know your kernel configuration, we don't know your device tree, we
> > don't know your root file system or which device nodes it contains,
> > we don't know anything about your system.
> >
> > Sorry - based on zero input you cannot expect much useful output.
>
> I'am waiting for -
>  ### Application running ...
>  root:~>

I know what you want to see, but you did not answer any of the
questions I asked (nor does it seem you bothered to check your config
either).

> it hangs in run_init_process("/sbin/init")

It hangs? Really?  Are you sure of this?

How did you verify that this is really the case?

> I have tried with ramdisk image from ELDK 4.2 and custom build RFSB project with the same result.
> bootargs console=ttyS2,115200 is correct.
>
> will ramdisk image from eldk 4.2 work with linux 2.6.34?
> will ramdisk image build from RFSB project work with linux 2.6.34?

Yes to both questions - assuming your system configuration is correct,
and matches the configuration/assumptions built into these.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Heavier than air flying machines are impossible.
                    -- Lord Kelvin, President, Royal Society, c. 1895