[ELDK] error building kernel modules

Mark Little mark.little at ambientcorp.com
Thu Mar 25 20:05:43 CET 2010

We are having trouble building linux 2.6.30.10 kernel modules for power
PC with the Denx (4.2) toolchain.  Specifically, the kernel module build
step errors out with the following messages:

    if [ -r System.map -a -x
    {path_to}/denxbuild/output/default_ppc_4xx.list_install/usr/bin/depmod.pl
    ]; then
    {path_to}/denx_build/output/default_ppc_4xx.list_install/usr/bin/depmod.pl
    -ae -F System.map  -b
    {path_to}/denxbuild/output/busybox_ppc_4xx.list_install/ppc_4xx
    2.6.30.10; fi
    make[1]: *** [_modinst_post] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `{path_to}/linux-2.6-denx'
    Finished building and installing kernel modules

and there is no modules.dep file generated.  This looks to me like an
incompatibility between depmod.pl and the kernel Makefile.
Specifically, it appears that depmod.pl expects a -r (or -s) switch
before the kernel version, but the versions of depmod that I see in a
few different flavors of linux all expect the version parameter to be
positional (and not specified as a target of a switch).

Can anyone provide any insight into this problem, and/or a solution for it?

Thank you,
--
Mark Little