[ELDK] GDB Issue

Nate Jozwiak njozwiak at mlsw.biz
Tue Nov 2 19:42:03 CET 2010

Hello All,

I am having an issue getting U-Boot going on a PPC-440GX board. I am using
the GDB that was built with U-Boot for ppc-4xx and a BDI3000 to connect to
the target. Whenever I attempt to connect to the BDI3000, I get the
following error:

     (gdb) target remote 192.168.4.252:2001

     Remote debugging using 192.168.4.252:2001

     Remote 'g' packet reply is too long:deadbeaf....

I believe this error is caused by GDB being configured to the wrong
architecture. So I did the following...

     [njozwiak at localhost tftpboot]$ ppc_4xx-gdb u-boot

     GNU gdb Red Hat Linux (6.7-1rh)

<http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>

     There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show
copying"

     and "show warranty" for details.

     This GDB was configured as "--host=i686-pc-linux-gnu
--target=ppc-linux".

     The target architecture is set automatically (currently powerpc:403)

     ..

     (gdb) show arch

     The target architecture is set automatically (currently powerpc:e500)

     (gdb) set arch powerpc:403

     The target architecture is assumed to be powerpc:e500

     (gdb) show arch

     The target architecture is assumed to be powerpc:e500

     (gdb) set arch powerpc:common

     The target architecture is assumed to be powerpc:e500

     (gdb) show arch

     The target architecture is assumed to be powerpc:e500

     (gdb)

As you see, initially GDB says the target architecture is powerpc:403. But
the show arch command claims it is the powerpc:e500. And commands placed to
change it from powerpc:e500 do not appear to be working.

As I said, this it the version of GDB that was built with U-Boot following
the instructions on the website. Does anyone have any insight into why it
does not work and why I am unable to change the architecture?

Thanks,

Nate