[ELDK] MPC5200 FEC Network Adapter is not initialized

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Nov 26 15:21:46 CET 2010

Dear Peter,

In message <4CEFB94B.2030303 at googlemail.com> you wrote:

> i have successfully got a lite5200b board up and running with
> uBoot and linux kernel 2.6.35.7 including JFFS and squashfs
> file systems in flash. It boots with no problem but I am unable
> to use the network adapter (FEC ETHERNET) from within linux.
>
> If I initialize the NIC from uBoot by issuing a NTP command prior
> to the bootm, the network adapter is working.

Which exact version of U-Boot are you running? How did you set
"ethaddr" in your U-Boot environment?

> Where and how should I initialize the FEC adapter in the
> linux kernel initialisation. As already said, I have checked
> in /powerpc/platforms/lite5200.c and mpc52*.c but with
> no success.

Initialization is done in the FEC driver itself.  Normally U-Boot will
insert the right MAC address into the DTB and pass that to Linux.

BTW: you are off topic here. No part of your problem is in any way
related to the ELDK. You should post questions like this on the
linuxppc-dev or similar list.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything  to  add,
but when there is no longer anything to take away.
                                           - Antoine de Saint-Exupery